- Unreal: RTNP
- Unreal II
- Unreal Tournament
- Unreal Tournament 3
- Unreal Championship
- Unreal Championship 2
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
From Liandri Archives
You may also be looking for Unreal Championship.
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict, also known as Unreal Championship 2, The Liandri Conflict, and UC2, was Epic Games first console-exclusive title developed specifically by them. The game is available exclusively for the Xbox, though Microsoft has developed a backwards compatibility update for the Xbox 360 in order to play it there. The game was released on April 18, 2005 and published by Midway Games as part of a three-game publishing deal.
|Xbox Release Date||April 18, 2005|
|Engine Version||Unreal Engine 2X|
|Epic Games Builds||3280-3323|
Unreal Championship 2 began development in 2003 after UT2003 was released and was a planned sequel titled UT2005. When fans of UT started clamoring after improvements to UT2003, Epic decided to move UT2005 to consoles and began work on UT2004. UT2005 eventually became Unreal Championship 2, and was the first of a three-game contract between Midway Games and Epic Games.
The game was marketed as a sequel to Unreal Championship, even though, for the most part, it has nothing to do with that game whatsoever. The game was developed using a modified version of the Unreal Engine which later became it's own licensable product.
A demo was released in OXM on March 1, 2005. It was also available at retailers such as Best Buy as a standalone disc. Often the requirement to get this copy was to either pre-order the game or purchase some other game. The demo contained the maps DM-Deadbolt, DM-Praxis, DM-Remnant, CTF-Emperor and CTF-ViperPit and the characters Anubis, Lauren and Szalor. Only half of the weapons were available, including Rocket Launcher, RipJack, Sniper Rifle and Stinger.
- April 18, 2005 - The game was released to stores, published by Midway Games.
The game was received very well by reviewers, with the average score being somewhere around 90% on most sites. It also gained favor among many gamers, however interest in the game died off after a short time and only a small cult following is left surrounding the game. Many people's complaints centered around the game simply being too difficult to master, which was true when compared with games like Halo that had overly simple controls as well as auto aim. Also, most Xbox Live subscribers were still engrossed in Halo 2 at the time.
Contained 23 different tracks composed by Kevin Riepl.
- UC2 Theme (UT Theme Redux)
- Acid Rain
- Arctic Decay
- Ascension Conclusion
- Bakhu Ruins
- Cold Fusion
- Deep Core
- Legacy (Anubis Fights Selket)
- Nakhti Ruins
- Nakhti Temple
- Nu Battle
- Temple Udjat
- Ascension Rites
- Follow Anubis to the crown of champion and the heart of Selket.
- Select a character and bring him through each level of play.
- Select challenges to perform. Challenges include playing different scenarios of each gametype.
- Health: Health pack appears in small and medium varieties.
- Adrenaline: Fulfills the players need for their special abilities.
- Energy Ammo: or "Tarydium", gives ammo for the Sniper Rifle, Shock Rifle, Bio Rifle, and Stinger.
- Explosive Ammo: gives ammo for the Rocket Launcher, Flak Cannon, Grenade Launcher and Ripjack.
- Super Health: Gives the player full health.
- Super Adrenaline: Gives the player full adrenaline
- UDamage: Changes the color of the character and projectiles to purple, and makes a loud noise with every shot. The ability gives the player's weapons twice as much damage and twice the firepower
- Invisibility: Makes the player partial invisible.
There are four types of weapons. Energy weapons which are powered by Tarydium crystal (or waste, in the case of the Bio Rifle), explosive weapons use explosive ammo, pistols with varying alternate firing modes depending on character race, and lastly, Melee weapons.
- Liandri Rivet Gun
Primary fire shoots red hot rivets
Alternate fire melts the rivets into a rod which can nail players to walls
- Nakhti Scorpions/Lightning (Raiden's weapons)
Primary fire shoots small energy balls, similar to the Dispersion Pistol.
Alternate fire sends a Freeze burst like the human's Enforcer
Primary fires double energy projectiles.
Alternate fire fires a charged poison shot.
- Sniper Rifle Normally used to shoot from long distance, when used un-scoped it shoots three shots in a "W" shape. When scoped in it shoots one powerful shot that has the ability to get head shots. One of two weapons that can obtain headshots.
- Shock Rifle An Unreal classic weapon. Used like in other games, it can shoot a lightning or a ball. If/when a lightning meets a ball it explodes.
- Bio-Rifle Can shoot single small balls or be charged up for one big ball. The big ball kills the enemy in one strike, the ball could also be turned into a cloud of poison while it is in the air.
- Stinger The new version for the mini-gun. The secondary fire shoots slow Tarydium crystal projectiles that home in on the enemy when locked on. Like in UT3, the alt fire function of the stinger was going to pin dead players to walls, but it was removed along with the removal of ragdoll physics.
- Rocket Launcher The original Unreal weapon. The Rocket Launcher can shoot up to three rockets when charged up or even split into six when activated in mid-air.
- Flak Cannon A shot gun with ammo that can bounce of walls. Its secondary shoots a single ball that explodes on impact.
- Grenade Launcher Shoots small balls that bounce around for a few seconds and explode when touched. Its secondary shoots a mine that is remote triggered.
- Ripjack Descendant of the Ripper and Razorjack. The Ripjack shoots thin razorblades that can bounce of walls, floors, and ceilings. Its secondary attack shoots an explosive razor. One of two weapons that are capable of head-shots.
- Cryo Staff
This staff causes its target to drop in temperature with each hit, and can eventually freeze an opponent solid.
- Cryo Swords
These graceful blades are coated in a cryonic solution that maintains a surface temperature of five degrees above absolute zero. Repeated hits on an opponent will release this solution into the bloodstream, eventually freezing them solid.
- Juggernaut Fists
The Juggernauts don't need a melee weapon. Bare-handed combat suits them perfectly.
- Legion Sword
This massive sword is proudly carried by members of the Imperial Legion. Its handle hides vibroshock motors which can incapacitate an opponent.
- Liandri Hammers (Fists)
The hand attachments on heavy mining bots are made for crushing rocks. Skulls do not present a problem.
- Molten Kama
What Devastation lacks in raw power she makes up in improved technology. These kama blades can slice through steel armor just as easily as flesh.
- Nakhti Axe
This massive axe gives the wielder an extended melee attack range, not to mention the ability to bat projectiles out of the air.
- Nakhti Staff
The staff has long been the traditional weapon for the Ascension Rites, but recent models conceal the latest advances in vibroshock technology.
- Nakhti Swords
Dual swords are the latest trend in the Ascension Rites. Current models conceal the latest advances in vibroshock technology.
- Necris Staff
This black staff is coated with Necris nanoblack. Being beaten with it is not good for your health.
- Necris Swords
These black swords are coated with Necris nanoblack, which causes festering wounds that refuse to heal.
- Skaarj Blades
Arm-mounted forked blades, the traditional weapon of the Skaarj. Serrated and energized for extra cutting power.
- Thunder Staff
One of the most basic weapons of the martial arts, but also one of the most deadly -- and this version is made deadlier by an infusion of Raiden's energy.
The choice of character would only effect your agility, strength of the sword, and health. Light are quick and agile but weak with melee strikes with low health while Heavy are slow but powerful high health.
Name - Race
- Selket - Nakhti
- Age: 26
- Birthplace: Nakhti Imperial City
- Selket is a princess of the Jehfar family, and a distant cousin to Anubis. Her desire to be Empress has eclipsed all other minor concerns like ethics and morality. Selket holds little respect for the animal-totem religion of the Nakhti people. She prefers instead the lucrative opportunities that the Liandri Mining Corporation can provide her and her future empire.
- Sapphire - Human
- Age: 39
- Birthplace: Paso Robles
- Sapphire is soft-spoken, intelligent and attractive, and on first glance you'd never guess that she's a experienced tournament combatant. Her gentle mannerisms hide a vicious streak that comes to the fore every time she walks into an arena. Sapphire is known for setting the hearts of her many combatants racing -- but often for two different reasons.
- Lauren - Necris
- Age: Undead
- Deathplace: Asteroid 35332-XA
- A former grand tournament champion, Lauren took her life after her boyfriend and teammate Brock died. The Liandri could not afford to lose two popular competitors at once, so they resurrected her with the horrific -- and horrifically expensive -- Necris process. One side effect: Lauren is only marginally sane. She does her best to share her demented grief with others.
- Devastation - Liandri
- Age: 0.5
- Construction Place: Liandri Home Services Facility
- Inspired by the ratings success of earlier robotic competitors, the Liandri converted their brilliant new home service robot into a deadly killing machine. The Prototype is constructed with nanochamber alloy and possesses a giga-array processing unit. To further increase audience attraction, and home purchase, Liandri selected a sleek female body type modeled after a popular adult holo actress.
- Anubis - Nakhti
- Age: 29
- Birthplace: Nakhti Imperial City
- Anubis is a prince of the illustrious Reydi family whose ancestors include fourteen former Nakhti Emperors. Favored to win the tournament ten years ago, Anubis left on the eve of the competition. Some say he was a coward; others speculate that political scheming forced him from the tournament. For the past decade he has served in the Desert Legion, honing his combat skills and revealing none of his secrets.
- Sobek - Nakhti
- Malcolm - Human
- Age: 54
- Birthplace: Earth
- The most famous Tournament player, Malcolm is a nine-time Champion whose face is recognized on every planet in the galaxy. His winning streak (and his spine) was snapped a few years ago by a crushing blow delivered by Gorge in the tournament finals. Malcolm never regained his former agility, but makes up for it with decades of experience. The Liandri use him extensively as a color commentator in their pre-game shows.
- Brock - Necris
- Age: Undead
- Deathplace: Deneb IV
- Malcolm's loyal teammate, Brock attempted to avenge his defeat and kill Gorge. His death was predictable. He was resurrected via the patented Necris process. Unlike his former girlfriend, Lauren, Brock has no memories of his previous life. Unburdened by remorse, he's free to kill in the Tournament again.
- Torgr - Skaarj
- Age: Unknown
- Torgr is the prototypical Skaarj: cunning, brutal, deadly. His combat skills earned him the leadership of the Torgr tribe. He hopes a grand Tournament victory will prove him worthy of being Consort to the Queen, and unifying the Skaarj and their slave races in his ultimate designs of intergalactic conquest.
- Raiden - Elder God
- Age: Ancient
- As an Elder God, Raiden has been cursed with seeing the devastation to come. When the Gods stood firm on their decision not to interfere in the ways of mortals, Raiden pleaded with them to take action, but they refused. Disgusted, he relinquished his immortal status to travel amongst the realms, gathering the support of the greatest of warriors against the coming storm. And there is no better place to recruit the champions of the galaxy than the Liandri Tournament.
- Arclite - Juggernaut
- Age: 39
- Birthplace: Udan Keeble Community Creche
- Unlike most Juggernauts in the tournament, Arclite is neither a criminal nor a killer by nature. His presence in the tournaments is simply a byproduct of his genetic makeup. Watch your step around him -- he's not happy to be here.
- Gorge - Juggernaut
- Age: 41
- Birthplace: NeoChiba Research Creche 9
- Gorge, a former inmate of the Allerian Penal Colony, savagely clawed his way through the tournament to the leader boards. Snapping Malcolm's winning streak, and his spine, in the tournament finals should have earned Gorge instant stardom and respect. However, his rough treatment of his fanbase negatively affected his ratings, and 'Gorgeamania' never quite caught on. Gorge is extremely irritated that Malcolm's fans still outnumber his, and that 'Malcolm Will Be Back' t-shirts are still everywhere at Tournament competitions.
- Szalor - Skaarj
- Age: Unknown
- Szalor is a proud Skaarj warrior, who suffered the ultimate humiliation: he was captured and enslaved by his mortal enemies, the Torgr tribe. He tried to die fighting his captors and thus regain a small measure of honor. Instead he only impressed the Torgr with his ferocity. They entered Szalor into the tournament, hoping to watch an entertaining death. If he manages to win, however, he will be set free.
- Raptor - Liandri
- Age: 7
- Construction Place: Merkady Production Facility 11
- Raptor was originally designed for heavy mining and factory work. In response to audiences' ever-increasing hunger for bloodshed, these robots were refitted with combat equipment and put into the arenas. While they're programmed to win, Raptor's primary task is to eliminate opponents in the most spectacularly bloody manner possible.
- Updated Characters
- Apophis - Nakhti
- Age: 22
- Birthplace: Khesafi
- As usual, Selket has chosen her man carefully. Her latest boyfriend, Apophis, is the scion of a powerful royal family. He's idolized throughout the land for his sports talents, not to mention his jawdropping beauty. His good looks are so heavily insured that the underwriting company requires him to wear a full-face helmet in the tournament.
- Calypso - Necris
- Age: Undead
- Deathplace: Ogygia
- Calypso was at the pinnacle of her holo acting career when she was given an opportunity few can resist: a chance at immortality, to stay beautiful and famous forever. By the terms of her perpetual film contract with the Liandri, she killed herself and was soon rejuvenated with the Necris process. Sadly, fame is fleeting. As her films became less popular the Liandri resorted to other, less tasteful, acting opportunities. Her body ravaged and her mind numbed, the Liandri eventually dumped Calypso into the tournament circuit in hopes of making some profit from their investment.
- Garek - Skaarj
- Age: Unknown
- Unlike most Skaarj, Garek doesn't revel in unnecessary brutality, and he has little taste for the bloodshed that inevitably comes from combat. He joined the tournament for the chance of true competition with honorable warriors, an opportunity that is rare indeed amongst the Skaarj clans.
- Jackhammer - Juggernaut
- Age: 42
- Birthplace: Baleth Community Creche
- Jackhammer was adopted by normal human parents, who were unable to control the violent mood swings brought on by his Juggernaut temperament. After killing them at the tender age of 6, Jackhammer fled and soon ran his own street gang. He earned his nickname after his arrest and subsequent assignment to the Allerian work gangs, where he was the only human able to handle massive jackhammers that were intended for robotic employment. The Liandri heard about his strength and temper, and offered him a contract on the spot.
- Judas - Necris
- Age: Undead
- Deathplace: Purgatory Penal Facility
- During an attack on a medical supply transport, Judas was captured by the Phayder and sentenced to their highest punishment: death, rejuvenation, and deletion of personality. With his mind and body rebuilt from the ground up, he now serves the Phayder as a Necris assassin. He entered the tournament solely to gain access to his next target, and this deadly sniper only needs one clear shot to achieve his goals.
- Kraag - Skaarj
- Age: Unknown
- Kraag is the stage name of Kraagesh, which means 'Lord of the Krall' in the Skaarj language. This is an honorific title that was bestowed upon him for his effective use of the Krall in subjugating new servant races throughout the known galaxies. His participation in the tournaments is a hard-earned personal vacation that comes before another lengthy battle campaign.
- Lilith - Necris
- Age: Undead
- Deathplace: Purgatory Penal Facility
- During an attack on a medical supply transport, Lilith was captured by the Phayder and sentenced to their highest punishment: death, rejuvenation, and deletion of personality. With her mind and body rebuilt from the ground up, she now serves the Phayder as a Necris assassin. She entered the tournament solely to gain access to her next target. The Liandri approved her application immediately; they love the ratings that come from such intrigue.
- Merc Anubis
- Necris Selket - Necris
- Age: Undead
- Deathplace: Nakhti Imperial City
- Selket's overwhelming desire to be Empress led her to betray her people and herself. Unable to believe Anubis' love for her was real, she forced him into a fight to the death in the finals of the Ascension Rites. After striking the killing blow, the newly crowned Emperor Anubis was blinded by grief at her loss. He agreed to serve the Liandri in order to have her back, and in doing so betrayed everything he held dear. After the Necris rejuvenation process, Selket is back by Anubis' side as his Empress, but their awkward relationship will take much longer to heal.
- Syzygy - Liandri
- Age: 22
- Construction Place: Merkady Production Facility 6
- Syzygy is an early prototype of the V2 Liandri construction robot line. He was originally purchased for use in a small asteroid mining operation, by a hobby astronomer. The straight-line alignment of the planets for which he named Syzygy is a sign of good fortune, but the violent manner in which the astronomer was dismembered is not.
Capture The Flag
The official bonus content was already on the DVD, but could only be unlocked via XBox Live. It contained four maps and ten alternate characters:
- Merc Anubis
- Necris Selket
- Anubis: win the Ascension Rites.
- Brock: win Lauren's ladder.
- Devastation: win Ascension Rites match #14.
- Gorge: win Malcolm's ladder.
- Raiden: win the Challenges.
- Selket: win the Ascension Rites.
- Torgr: win Szalor's ladder.
- Adrenaline Jumps: win both Lauren's ladder #2 and Selket's ladder #3.
- Announce Power-Ups: win Raptor's ladder #8.
- Double Adrenaline: win Anubis's ladder #7; Gorge's ladder #1; Lauren's ladder #1; Raiden's ladder #1; Raptor's ladder #1; Selket's ladder #1; Sobek's ladder #10; and Szalor's ladder #1.
- Friendly Fire Damage: win either Challenge #16 (Malfunction); Arclite's ladder #6; Raptor's ladder #4; or Sapphire's ladder #2.
- InstaGib: win either Challenge #8 (Sharpshooter); Ascension Rites #7; Gorge's ladder #9; Sapphire's ladder #3.
- Looting: win either Challenge #16 (Malfunction); Arclite's ladder #2; or Selket's ladder #8.
- Low Grav: win either Challenge #14 (Taking Flight); Devastation's ladder #2; or Sapphire's ladder #5.
- Low Grav All: See Low Grav above.
- No Lock: win either Challenge #11 (Graduation) or Lauren's ladder #8.
- Quad Jump: win either Challenge #14 (Taking Flight); Ascension Rites #8; or Arclite's ladder #8.
- Radioactive: win either Challenge #16 (Malfunction) or Gorge's ladder #4.
- Random Pickup Respawn: win either Challenge #16 (Malfunction); Arclite's ladder #4; Devastation's ladder #8; or Gorge's ladder #8.
- Retribution: win either Challenge #11 (Graduation); Brock's ladder #9; Malcolm's ladder #5; Selket's ladder #7; or Torgr's ladder #1.
- Rounds (Best of 3): win Ascension Rites #12 or Torgr's ladder #8.
- Rounds (Best of 5): See Rounds (Best of 3) above.
- Vampire: win Challenge #9 (Day of the Vampire).
- Volatile: win either Challenge #16 (Malfunction); Brock's ladder #6; or Sobek's ladder #4.
- Wall Crawl: win Raiden's ladder #3.
- Weapon Master: win Malcolm's ladder #3.
- Apophis: win Ascension Rites #16.
- Calypso: win Malcolm's ladder #5.
- Corrosion: win Anubis's ladder #2.
- Darius: win Szalor's ladder #3.
- Hyena: win Ascension Rites #7.
- Jackhammer: win Arclite's ladder #5.
- Judas: win Sapphire's ladder #4.
- Korig: win Raptor's ladder #3.
- Kraag: win Lauren's ladder #3.
- Memphis: win Brock's ladder #5.
- Mirage: win Sobek's ladder #5.
- Nepthys: win Gorge's ladder #6.
- Syzygy: win Devastation's ladder #5.
Awarded for making a certain number of kills without dying throughout the match.
- Killing Spree: 5 kills.
- Massacre: 10 kills.
- Rampage: 15 kills.
- Dominating: 20 kills.
- Unstoppable: 25 kills.
- Godlike: 30+ kills.
Awarded for making the amount of kills within the allotted time.
- Double Kill: 2 kills.
- Multikill: 3 kills.
- Mega Kill: 4 kills.
- Monster Kill: 5 kills.
- Ultra Kill: 6 kills.
- Unholy: 7 kills.
- Impossible: 8 kills.
- Unpossible: 9 or more kills ( will continually announce "Unpossible!").
Awarded for getting the amount of kills with the said weapon.
- Disc Jockey: 10 kills with Ripjack.
- Eight Ball: 8 direct hits with Rocket Launcher.
- Rocket Scientist: 20 kills with Rocket Launcher.
- Biohazard: 7 kills with Bio-Rifle, or 5 kills using the Bio-Rifle's alternate-fire.
- Goop God: 15 kills with Bio-Rifle.
- Blue Streak: 10 kills with Stinger.
- Shock Therapist: 10 kills with Shock Rifle.
- Flak Monkey: 10 kills with Flak Cannon.
- Landmine: 5 kills with Grenade Launcher's alternate-fire.
- Sharp Shooter: 7 kills with the Sniper Rifle.
- Cavalier: Achieving 5 kills using melee weapons.
- Samurai: Achieving 10 kills using melee weapons.
- Rejected: Killing an enemy by deflecting a shot back (in melee mode).
- Combo: Getting hit by a Necris freeze attack while being a Necris yourself. (it gives Necris characters health).
- Flawless Victory: Winning a round without a single death or defeat.
- First Blood: First player in a match to make a kill.
- Headshot: Fragging a player by taking off his/her head.
- Brain Surgeon: Achieving 5 headshots in one game.
- Interception: Freezing an opponent in Overdose in order to steal the ball.
- Jumpy Bitch: Awarded while killing an opponent through excessive jumping.
- Smack Down: Reflecting an opponent's charged adrenaline fueled melee attack.
- Wasted: Shooting a necris with a charged pistol shot or firing a poison Skaarj claw at another Skaarj.
Epic installed a new melee system into the game where the heavy characters have a more power but at the lost of their agility while vista versa with light characters. Unlike other Unreals, players would have to choose two weapons (one explosive and one energy) to use where the ammo for each would spread throughout the battlefield.
- Unreal Championship 2 began development as UT2005 and was later renamed and made an Xbox exclusive.
- According to Joe Graf, A vehicle-based gametype was created, with even specialized maps, but they clashed with the core mechanics of the game, so it didn't made the cut for the game.